West Chicago Illinois History
This will introduce you to a 61-mile course that winds through the properties in west Chicago, Illinois. The western section runs from McHenry County College on US 14 to Crystal Lake, west of N. Oak Street, and the line runs through St. Charles. 12 in Villa Park and West Chicago, followed by an abandoned rail corridor to the north and east of Chicago on the west side.
The city itself began to form in 1849 or 1850, when the Chicago and St. Charles Railroad, the first of its kind in the United States, reached the area. The line that eventually became Burlington was relocated in 1850 and the surrounding towns of Villa Park and West Chicago were added to the branch, the latter becoming the Burlington Railroad and crossing with what is now West Chicago.
Instead, the company decided to build a second main line, which runs west from Junction to DeKalb and Fulton, Illinois. They built the G-CU, connecting Geneva with West Chicago all the way up to St. Charles Branch.
In 1909, West Chicago and Geneva were connected by lines to Wheaton and the High Lake subdivision, and a bike path connected West Chicago with the Chicago River and Lake Shore Drive.
High Lake, located east of downtown West Chicago, was one such streetcar suburb advertised by the line. In 1909, in the hope of generating passenger traffic, the railroad established a commuter subdivision west of Aurora, Elgin, and Chicago (later called CA-E) along its electric overland line, which is driving the development of the High Lake subdivision as a stopover on its route.
In the late 1860s, the Chicago and Northwestern Railway (now known as the former G-CU) built a sizable brick depot and a large roundabout here. The railroad's box cars began a major migration route to western Chicago, with the community becoming the first home for many migrants, most of whom came from the Mexican state of Michoacan. C - NW built its roundabouts in the area west of High Lake, west of the railway tracks and east of Elgin.
There are several shops and restaurants in and around 600 West Chicago Illinois, and it is one of the few iconic venues that attracts residents and foreign owners alike. Tenants mean restaurants such as Japonais and Snarf's have moved in, as well as food trucks that often surround the neighborhood.
If you fancy a round of golf, Prairie Landing Golf Club is a public course just a few blocks from 600 West Chicago. Wheaton was originally opened in 1853 as the Illinois Institute, but it was moved to the west of Chicago, where it remains today. There is also a Christian-based high school in the neighborhood, the Christian Christian Christian Academy of Chicago, as well as a number of churches and churches.
Much of downtown is a listed building and is one of Chicago's most historic neighborhoods, with a number of historic buildings still in use today. 600 West Chicago was designated a Chicago landmark and added to the National Register of Historic Places and designated a Historic District.
West Chicago Prairie was founded in 1979 when the Chicago Park and Recreation Department (C - NW) and Illinois Department of Natural Resources (IDNR) purchased land in the west of the city, including the former C / NW Stockyards. Timber Ridge Trail is located in west Chicago, west of Chicago and south of downtown.
The West Chicago Railroad Historical Society was founded in 1960 and later incorporated into the new West Chicago Historical Society in 1975. Celia Kruse joined the Society in 1979 when she wanted to make her life's work available to the Society. In 1953, the village became the City of West Chicago again, and the banker Grant A. Dayton was its first mayor. The city government grew out of one of two buildings in west Chicago that is a National Historic Landmark, the former C / NW Stockyards, at 3200 W. Chicago Ave. , in the west of the city. In 1953, the village rejoined the Illinois State Board of Education and was reincorporated in 1954 as the city of West Illinois and the Bank of Chicago, while banker Grant A., Dayton, served as the first mayor.
In 1976, the city was founded in the old City Hall and Turner Town Hall was created, and in 1976 the city created its first public library, the West Chicago Public Library. The 1912 C / NW depot was acquired in 1981 by a not-for-profit group that emerged as the Community Coordinating Committee of the West Chicago Historical Society and other organizations.
West Chicago's history was closed when C / NW moved its Illinois Division headquarters to the site of what is now the West Chicago Public Library. In 1849, the Chicago and North Central Railroad (C & NW) and Illinois State Railway reached the sites of what is now West Chicago and then headed northwest to Elgin. The Chicago - Northwestern Railway, or C and NW, a subsidiary of C & NW, reached its current location in West Chicago in 1849, but continued westward and eastward until the end of service in the early 20th century.